Lamb Kebabs with Cucumber Dipping Sauce
As soon as the weather breaks and it stays light beyond 6pm, I love making and eating our supper outside! This seasoned Grilled Lamb Kebab dish has one of my favorite flavor profiles.
Simple, fast and inexpensive score extra points. I love lamb chops but not their price tag but ground lamb is reasonable. Find the little hidden meat section at Walmart with the grass fed organic meats and thank me later. There are always one pound square vacuum sealed packages of ground lamb,
This is a Greek or Middle Eastern style dish, combining lamb kebabs with a cucumber yogurt sauce - yum. Sauces make all meats easier for bariatric post ops to eat in addition to adding great flavor.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Olive oil
- Ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper or cayenne pepper
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, not fat free, use real yogurt
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 small jalapeño, stem and seeds removed
- Sauté the onion and 1 teaspoon of the minced garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat in a small skillet until tender. Add 1 teaspoon cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for another minute - set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine the lamb in a large mixing bowl with the onion mixture, chopped parsley and lemon zest along with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
- Divide the mixture into pieces the size of golf balls and flatten two of them them into a thick patty around a bamboo skewer - arrange on a platter, cover and chill for about 10 minutes to firm. This makes 6 skewers.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by combining the yogurt, cucumber, remaining 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, jalapeño, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in the blender until smooth. pour into small bowl and set aside. You can also combine in a bowl for a salsa style creamy sauce.
- Preheat grill or grill pan and cook the lamb kebabs for 5 to 6 minutes, turning halfway through so that both sides are well browned. I grill slices of onion and sweet pepper alongside the lamb.
- Serve warm with the dressing on the side. These are delicious.