Salsa is a perfect bariatric food as you can spoon it over thinly sliced chicken breasts or pork or turkey tenderloins to make them moist and easy to eat.
It is heaven with grilled and sliced skirt steak or sirloin. Toss 1 pound cooked shrimp with 2 cups Salsa Fresca for an amazing and fast Shrimp Ceviche.
- 10 ripe Roma or plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 fresh serrano or jalapeño chiles, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 4 limes
- Sea salt
- A couple of tablespoons ketchup (yep, a tip I learned while living in Mexico)
- Hot sauce to taste
- Toss the tomatoes, onion, chile and cilantro with the lime juice, a big pinch of salt and ketchup in a large bowl. Season with hot sauce to your taste. Serve immediately.