Learn To Cook: Sheet Pan Meal
One of the hardest situations Post-Ops face is relearning how to cook and feed their family.
Too many fall victim to the trap of cooking a meal for them AND their family. This seems smart but honestly, in practice, it gets old fast and is a quick way back to those "Old Habits" you've worked so hard to shake since surgery.
Sheet Pan meals are a simple and fast way to make a meal that your entire family will love.
One of our very most popular recipes is our Sheet Pan Fajitas, if you haven't made it yet, try it tonight! It's a huge favorite in my home and I know it will be in yours too.
There's a secret behind a Sheet Pan Meal that I'll share with you now. More than being a super fast way to cook dinner it's actually a Technique not a Recipe. Follow along with me to see what I mean.
Ingredients for Any Sheet Pan Meal
- Protein such as Chicken, Beef, Pork, Sausages, Shrimp, Fish, Turkey....if it's meat or a meat substitute you can use it!
- Vegetables, cut into pieces you'd serve on a plate. Often I use a combination of peppers & onions to season. Other delicious veggies to try are Zucchini, Asparagus, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Green Beans, Tomatoes (whole Cherry Tomatoes work best), Squash, sliced Cabbage, sliced Brussels Sprouts. If you like one TRY it! Roasting veggies brings out a flavor that's incredibly rich and delicious.
- Seasoning. You'll want to season your protein AND the veggies. You don't have to use the same thing. Take a few minutes in front of your spice rack and see what you have that looks good. At the grocery store, there are several brands that make Seasoning Blends to shake onto food to season it. Other options include dry marinade mixes (the ones on the Packet sold at the Grocery store a perfect, just shake on top!), sauces like our Homemade BBQ Sauce. There's a ton of options for variety!
- Pam, or another Non-Stick Spray
- Olive Oil. A small measured amount (no more than a Tablespoon for an entire pan) drizzled over the protein and veggies can really elevate your meal.
How To Assemble Your Sheet Pan Meal
- Before you start, preheat that oven to 350.
- On a large cookie sheet arrange the seasoned protein on one side.
- Then place the veggies on the other.
- Drizzle your Olive Oil and then season with the Seasoning you've selected.
How to Cook
- Place the sheet pan in your oven.
- By the time the Protein cooks, your veggies will be done too.
- Most cook in about 20-25 minutes.
Now isn't that easier than sitting in the Drive-Thru? It's a thousand times easier than wrestling with Fatbrain about why you don't need Spaghetti (or rice, or a hamburger bun or whatever the family is eating) "just this once"?
For me, I can come home and get the sheet pan meal roasting. Then change clothes, set the table and we're eating dinner within 45 min!
Not too shabby if you ask me, and there's only ONE pan to clean! Win-Win!