Think of how you would feel if this plate of food was set in front of you in a restaurant! Table for two please.
Cooking half a ham is sort of silly for one or two or even three or four people. What if you could make just the right amount? In years past my Mother would spend all day in the kitchen for a holiday meal preparing 10 or 12 separate dishes.
I love to have a special meal but don't have the luxury of that much time and I do not buy the precooked store food that's so popular. I've been to family holiday dinners (on my husbands side, lol) where there was not a single homemade dish on the entire table, and the kitchen was piled high with plastic clamshells. Disgusting. With all due respect, being too lazy to cook is why people need obesity surgery.
This meal just tastes like you spent all day, but the truth is that it takes 30 minutes! This is a perfect Holiday or Sunday Dinner - it is delicious and there is plenty. Make our Pink Pickled Eggs ahead of time to devil, or you can make regular deviled eggs.
- One 8 ounce ham steak - cut in half - I buy Jones or Hormel 'Cure 81' and divide for 2
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Two 1 inch slices fresh pineapple
- 4 tablespoons Smucker's Sugar Free Apricot Preserves
- Splash of chicken broth
- Pinch of clove
- Maraschino cherries
- 8 asparagus spears - bottom half peeled
- Deviled Pink Pickled Egg halves and a few baby greens
- 1 large sweet potato, roasted in a 400 degree oven until soft when pressed with fingers - cook early then whip with butter and set aside
- Lightly brown the ham on both sides in butter in a non stick skillet over medium high heat; remove to a plate and set aside. Brown the pineapple rings, add the preserves, a pinch of sea salt, a few grinds of black pepper and small pinch of clove. Add a little of the pineapple juice or chicken broth to help the preserves melt and create a sauce or glaze. Add the ham back to the pan along with any juices. Heat and plate.
- Heat sweet potato puree and add a dollop to plate.
- Sauté a few peeled asparagus spears in a drop of olive oil in a small skillet and add to plate.
- Arrange the deviled egg half on top of baby greens.
- Serve your lovely plated meal.