Refried Bean Purèe - Food for NEW Bariatric Post Ops
"To Purée is to blend, grind or mash food until it is a thick, smooth, lump-free consistency. A Purée is a food that has the consistency of a soft creamy paste."
It is not arbitrary that you have been told to eat purées for a period of time - you have just had 85% of your stomach removed and have miles of staples creating your new stomach pouch. (okay so not miles but you get the point)
Scrambled eggs are not a purée, refried beans are not a purée unless completely smooth, chili is not a purée. You cannot make a purée in your mouth. Don't laugh, as our Support Group on Facebook members write of doing this - then ask for help when they are in pain after accidentally swallowing a chunk of food.
Smooth means SMOOTH completely silky smooth... no chunks or lumps. Carbs are okay in early stages as the purpose is to get your stomach used to simple digestion and accepting food after the trauma of surgery - so don't panic when you read suggestions of potatoes or beans. These are in small amounts and are easy to digest. You can also serve these 'purées' to your family while you are in this stage - a dish of seasoned sweet potato alongside roasted chicken legs is a happy thing in my house and will be in your house too.
Refried Bean Purée
- Place a can of drained pinto beans into a blender or food processor with 1/2 cup of mild salsa and pulse until silky smooth.
- You may need to add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chicken broth to bring it to a completely smooth almost pourable texture.
- Scrape sides of container and process again.
- Season with salt and pepper so it tastes good to you.
- Either warm your puree in a small pot OR transfer to a baking dish.
- Add some shredded cheddar to top your bean puree and bake at 350 degrees until warm and bubbling.
Later on in your journey, you can use spicy salsa, leave it chunkier, and even kick it up with some fresh cilantro.
Stick to your surgeons suggested timeline and don't jump into 'real food' too quickly. Hang in these early phases as long as they ask you too and IF you have any trouble or discomfort, drop back to the last phase. This too shall pass.