A 'Soft Food' Holiday Meal
If you have just had bariatric surgery and don't know what you are going to do about Thanksgiving or if you will be having your surgery just before Christmas and are already fearful of how you will handle the day. RELAX... you're covered!
We know that many of our support group members schedule surgery at end of the year to use up health savings accounts and take advantage of insurance deductibles. Then one day wake up and think 'What am I going to do about Thanksgiving and Christmas?' No worries. Not our first rodeo!
It is my 20th Rodeo! Have a seat in my kitchen and I will show you some very simple foods you can eat that are so tasty, everyone will want what you're having.
Bariatric Soft Food Menu for Thanksgiving or ChristmasWarm Cranberry Sipper "Mocktails"
- Simmer 4 cups Ocean Spray Diet Cranberry with 2 star anise and 1 cinnamon stick for 15 minutes - do not boil.
- Strain into four small mugs and garnish each with an orange slice.
- You can also warm all ingredients gently in a Crock-Pot set to low. It will take several hours for it to warm through and the spices to blend.
- The aroma of this simmering pot is wonderful. Sipping this drink will keep your hands and your mouth busy.
- It is truly delicious and you may want to double or triple the recipe as others will want to sip along with you!
Appetizer - Southwest Bean Dip
- In food processor pulse 1 can drained pinto beans, 1/3 cup good quality roasted type mild salsa, and 1/4 cup cilantro, until some texture remains.
- Pour into baking dish and top with 1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely shredded Mexican cheese blend.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve in small dish to eat with spoon.
- Go easy on the cheese, follow the recipe!
Main Course - Soft Turkey Gravy & Maple Sweet Potato Silk
- Prepare Knorr Turkey gravy mix according to package directions.
- Remove a chunk of skinless breast the size of the palm of your hand from the cooked turkey, slice, line up and dice then finely chop.
- Just before serving, combine chopped turkey with 2 tablespoons of gravy in a small pan and gently warm.
- Roast sweet potatoes (choose ones fairly similar in size) on a sheet pan in 400 degree oven for about 1 hour or until soft when squeezed.
- Allow to cool slightly, slit with a sharp knife to easily peel and add to a bowl with 1 tablespoon butter and 2 tablespoons Mrs. Butterworth's sugar free maple syrup per every two sweet potatoes you use.
- Mash with large whisk, then beat until silky smooth. Reheat in small pot before serving.
To Plate Your Meal Add small portions of Soft Turkey Gravy & Maple Sweet Potato Silk to your dinner plate along with a spoonful of Smucker's Sugar Free Cherry or Raspberry preserves in place of cranberry sauce.