Eggplant is a delicious side dish for pork chops, Italian sausage, or lamb chops.
The slices are roasted to layer with cheese and marinara sauce for a bake while the meat is on the grill. I like to make this in two small baking pans - one for tonight, one for later goes in the freezer.
- One medium eggplant, nice and firm, about 1 pound, peeled and sliced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Arrange eggplant slices on a baking sheet that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick vegetable cooking spray.
- Drizzle each slice with a little olive oil, season with salt and bake until lightly browned and tender, 20 to 25 minutes, turning halfway through. Remove to cool.
- Arrange the eggplant in an even layer in small square baking dish - spread with sauce, sprinkle with parmesan and mozzarella and repeat with additional layers.
- Bake until bubbling and golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.