Berry Granita - Italian Ice
This fresh berry granita is a fab ice cold treat for a Summer Evening on the patio.
I keep a container in the freezer - as I make this when summer berries are a dollar a basket. Just let it soften for ten minutes before scooping into small glasses.
To make granita, which we have always called Italian Ice, you just make a super luscious smooth fruit puree in the blender, pour into a pan, pop it into the freezer and blend the ice crystals as they form with a fork. That's the recipe. Oh wait, you missed it. Read the first sentence again.
No special equipment needed!
- 3 small containers of blackberries, raspberries, blueberries or one of each
- juice of half a lemon
- Splenda to sweeten to personal taste. NOT too much as you want the fruit to shine through.
- Puree the berries, lemon juice, and sweetener in the blender or food processor until smooth.
- Pour puree into a wire strainer and using a rubber scraper force the juice and fruit through to remove the seeds and skin.
- Pour into a cake pan and pop into the freezer.
- As it freezes blend the frozen part around the edges into the center that is not frozen and put it back into the freezer. Repeat every 10 minutes or so, until it is all scraped up and slushy. Boom, you've just made granita.
- May be made ahead and after its all been scraped into ice, covered and kept to serve later. Remove from freezer for ten minutes to soften.