Bye Bye Miss American Pie! No Sugar Fruit Tart
This 'fan favorite' Bariatric Eating dessert is actually simple - a sugar free shortbread cookie, spread with no sugar preserves and vanilla cream, as a base for flag inspired fresh fruit!
A Summer Showstopper! Everyone will smile when they see your 'American Pie'. It is super low in sugar with the few grams from fresh fruit and a cup of Cool Whip. It's not super low in calories or a *free food*, but its not all for you silly wabbit, it's for the party!
After bariatric surgery we manage 4th of July or any event by eating plenty of barbecue chicken, a few forks of homemade slaw, a bite or two of fresh summer corn - then have a slice of our no sugar dessert. It's self limiting yet allows us to be part of the party. No one wants to be the sad one in the corner watching everyone eat 'real' food.
THIS is Bariatric Eating and its why we are the best bariatric authority on the planet. We know how to navigate holidays and are here to help you.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (a little flour is necessary)
- 1/4 cup Truvia sugar replacer (this turns out best using Truvia, so stick to the recipe)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (use vanilla if you'd prefer)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- One 4 serving package of Jello Sugar Free Instant Pudding mix - Vanilla or Banana or Cheesecake
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 cup Cool Whip, thawed - use regular or sugar free as there is little difference between the two
- 1/2 cup Smuckers Sugar Free Preserves - use any flavor
- Blueberries, bananas, strawberries
- Mix the almond flour, all purpose flour, Truvia, almond extract, salt and butter in a medium bowl until the mixture appears evenly moist and comes together into a soft cookie dough.
- Pat into a parchment lined 9 inch round tart pan or pizza pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees until golden and slightly firm to the touch, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely. Whip pudding mix with milk, using a hand mixer, until thick and smooth. Add the Cool Whip and blend on low until light and fluffy. Cover and chill.
- To assemble just before serving: spread the preserves over cooled cookie crust to 1 inch of edge.
- Spread the pastry cream to 1/4 inch of edge of crust and arrange fruit into flag design as shown.