These chicken tacos are so tasty and simple - funny that there isn't a bit of cheese or sour cream in sight! There is plenty of flavor.
Either use a store bought rotisserie chicken or better yet poach boneless breasts for this meal. Just be sure to use freshly cooked chicken so your bowl of filling is lovely and tender and moist.
This is not a dry leftover chicken dish, the filling should be almost dripping with the flavors of chicken and lime.
- 3/4 pound or 2 poached chicken breasts (or you can use the meat from a rotisserie chicken)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth - I use Swanson chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 fresh limes - for about 1/4 cup lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Fresh or favorite salsa from a jar - fresh salsa takes just a minute and is worth it (combine diced tomatoes, onion, cilantro and lime juice)
- Very thinly sliced jalapeños
- Butter lettuce leaves
- Shred the breast meat from the cooked chicken and add to a large skillet.
- Add the chicken broth, olive oil, lime juice, cilantro - toss to combine and warm over medium heat.
- Make a taco by spooning chicken into a lettuce leaf, adding a slice or two of jalapeño, and a big spoonful of salsa.