Lets Make a Quiche
Quiche is a French egg and cheese pie - it happens to be my favorite standby food.
Its a luscious baked custard filled with cheese and any combination of meats, and vegetables that you would like or that you happen to have in your fridge. I love Broccoli, Swiss Cheese, and Onion. My second favorite combination is Spinach, Smoked Cheddar, and Bacon! Classic Quiche Lorraine uses Ham, Onion, and Swiss. I like to use a meat, a vegetable, and of course a cheese - lots of combinations - sometimes I skip the meat and use two vegetables.
The benefit for bariatric post op eating is that it is tender to eat, has plenty of protein, is meltingly cheesy and delicious, and since you are making an entire pie, one quiche lasts for several breakfasts, lunches, and dinners.You can even serve it to your family with a salad and call it a light supper! It is super easy to make even if you are not a confident cook!
IMPORTANT: I do bake my quiche in a crust MOST of the time, because my husband wont eat it when I bake it without one.
- One, Pillsbury All Ready Pie Crust, fitted into a 9 inch pie plate
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 4 ounces diced ham
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, freshly grated
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Place your pie plate on a cookie sheet.
- Saute the onion in the butter until the onion is soft and golden, add the broccoli and ham - saute 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside to cool while you prepare the eggs.
- Beat eggs until well blended. Whisk in the milk, salt pepper, and nutmeg. Arrange half the cheese in the bottom of the prepared crust - add the sauteed items - pour in the egg mixture to fill to the top - and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until just set and slightly puffed around the sides as in the photo, but still a tiny bit jiggly or soft in the two inch circle of the center when you gently shake the oven rack. Usually a pie will bake for about 35 minutes, but begin checking it at 30 minutes and cook until it is done. Let cool for 15 minutes, cut it into wedges and serve.
- You will thank me for this easy meal once you taste this!