Parmesan Creamed Spinach
Even those who say they don't like Spinach - this stuff is lick the plate good.
If you are going to eat carbs, make them the vegetable kind. Use bites of this delicious dish to moisten your bites of turkey: a trick of bariatric eating. The teeny amount of flour in this dish is necessary for the texture of the sauce, don't leave it out as you won't be eating a lot of it when you serve this on your dinner plate.
This is a fantastic side dish to offer to bring to a Thanksgiving, Christmas or any Special Occasion dinner!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large shallots minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Better Thank Bouillon, Chicken base
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of freshly granted nutmeg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan sauté the shallots in the olive oil until softened and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stirring constantly, cook until absorbed into the oil, 30 to 45 seconds.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and cook, scraping any of the residual cooked flour from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the chicken base, bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add the spinach and simmer until warmed and tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan.
- Serve immediately.