Classic Wedge Salad with a homemade lower cal blue cheese dressing
We have taken the flavors that make a Wedge Salad off the chain delicious but made it with calories we can live with.
No one will believe this crisp iceberg wedge dripping with flavor could be healthy.
Once you make your own blue cheese dressing, you won't be able to eat the grocery store stuff from a bottle on a shelf ever again.
This is the ultimate and it's actually GOOD for you. Greek yogurt is the key!
Spoon over sliced ripe summer tomatoes, or toss with heirloom or teardrop red & yellow tomatoes and shaved red onion for absolute perfection. Serve with cucumber slices to use as chips.
- Iceberg lettuce
- Diced tomato
- Crisp bacon
- Sliced scallions
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallots (about 4 ounces) - near the onion and garlic in the produce section - usually in a small net bag. Buy them, it's important.
- 3 tablespoons Hellmann's mayonnaise
- 1 cup Fage Greek yogurt
- 4 ounces blue cheese, room temperature, crumbled
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Saute shallots in oil until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes, set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and yogurt; add blue cheese mashing with a fork to blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Stir in the cooled shallots.
- Cover and chill to blend flavors.
To make a Wedge Salad, center a slab of Iceberg Lettuce on a plate, spoon on your dressing and top with diced tomato, and if you are feeling particularly festive, some chopped bacon and scallions.