Susan Maria Leach
Rich with tomato and molasses - good old fashioned New England baked beans. Delicious with a backyard burger!
- 4 strips bacon or salt pork or jowl bacon cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Toriani Sugar Free Caramel Syrup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Two, 15-ounce cans small white or Navy beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
I have a traditional bean pot - and will bake my bean mixture for the 30 to 40 minutes - nice presentation!
- In a heavy, medium size saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes, until it begins to brown and crisp.
- Add the onion, stir well and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is tender, 5 minutes more.
- Add the vinegar, tomato paste, sugar free syrup, and molasses.
- Add the beans and season with the dry mustard, salt and pepper.
- Stir to mix and reduce heat to low.
- Cover the pan and simmer the beans 30 to 40 minutes until the sauce is rich and thick and the beans have absorbed plenty of flavor.