I have baked gingerbread houses for over 30 years – there’s nothing quite like the smell of warm cinnamon, ginger, and molasses in your kitchen.
This cake is moist and absolutely delicious – especially when you top it with some warm applesauce and whipped cream. This dessert gets my vote for top dessert to serve on your holiday table! It makes a small cake to cut into 9 squares - take this to your family gathering and watch it disappear.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Truvia Baking Blend, sugar replacer
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Spray an 8 inch deep round or square cake pan with non-stick cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar replacer until smooth and creamy; blend in the egg, molasses, and milk.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt.
- Add to the wet ingredients and beat until creamy and smooth.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool for ten minutes and turn onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into 9 squares. Serve dusted with powdered sugar or top with homemade applesauce and a dollop of whipped cream.