Ummm, soft and tender and delicious. High protein, very low carb Ricotta Fritters.
Watched Jamie Oliver make this recipe with a much greater flourish! Here's the basic version I eat for lunch at my desk.
NOTE: this makes too much for 1 person, but to make a 1/2 batch do you know how to measure HALF an egg? Just whip it in a measuring cup and measure out 2 tablespoons. A large egg contains ~ 3 1/2 to 4 tablespoons.
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta - use a brand like Calabro that is dryer and your result will be better
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg - Badia brand under one dollar for 3 whole nutmegs
- 1 lemon for zesting
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- Blend the ricotta, egg, nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, Parmesan, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper until a thick batter forms.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat and use a big spoon to make dollops of mixture in the pan - I like to make many, small fritters as they are easier to flip over.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, peek under the edge and if nicely browned, carefully turn and cook on other side until softly firm to touch and golden brown.
- Serve plain or with a minced grape tomato salad with olive oil and balsamic.